Sunday, August 12, 2007

Critical Test Succesful

No this has nothing to do with finding out whether my blood has enough oxygen carrying capacity for high altitudes or anything.

Instead, I test packed my duffel bag today. Important findings:

1) It is really full of stuff. Funny how packing clothes for a 2 week trip and multiple climates will do that. Mostly it's a reminder that I was way too cheap almost 10 years ago and should have bought a down sleeping bag instead of the way-too-bulky synthetic.

2) I have a surprisingly comprehensive collection of outdoor gear and clothing. Well, mostly clothing.... not a camp stove to be found, but then again, I'm not cooking on this trip.

3) It all fits! All my stuff for the hike actually does fit in the duffel, including all costs, clothes, sleeping bag/pad, etc.

4) It's a little heavy: my not completely accurate assessment of weight of bag + contents clocks in at 34 pounds, slightly over the 30 pounds per porter limit. Not sure if this means I'm paying extra, or whether I'll be pulling my sleeping bag out on the mountain.

5) It barely all fits; as in my trekking poles, daypack, hiking boots do NOT fit (or at least wouldn't easily). This means I'm good for the hike, but not for air travel. I sort of expected this, but it means I'm definitely bringing a second piece of checked baggage so I can get all that stuff in this one, and have a small piece to use and keep in town.

Anyways, good stuff to know. Now I just have a few other things to get (sunscreen, snacks, etc) and I'm ready (gear-wise) to go in less than three weeks!

No comments: